Monday, August 22, 2005

Another day, another doctor

This entry is dedicated to my friend Amy, who today defends her PhD thesis in history at Western. Amy and I did our undergrads together at York, and so both suffered through its incredibly ugly giant concrete buildings and 70s-era decor (orange furniture galore). I remember talking to Amy when she first got accepted at Western (I'd been there a year at that point), when she was delighted to be attending a university that looked like a university, right down to the old-style buildings and ivy-clad walls.

Ah -- but Amy studies history. So where does that put her? In the giant concrete Social Science building with its 70s-era orange furniture. She was rather bitter.

I know things are going to go well for her today as, besides being just really smart, she also has the great good fortune -- as I did at my defense -- of having the Blackmore as her extra-departmental examiner. The Blackmore just tends to make all things better.

Luck!

No comments: