Thursday, February 02, 2006

Ain't nothing seeing its shadow out there today

We have officially reached "Holy crap" as far as the weather here goes. When I left home for work yesterday at about quarter after seven, there was the lightest dusting of snow and no wind; by the time I reached campus, the wind was howling and there was significantly more so; about an hour into the day I couldn't see more than a few meters out of my office window.

They closed the university at one o'clock. I toyed with the idea of sticking around to get work done in the absence of classes, but thought better of it -- and a good thing too! The snow was up to my car's wheel wells on the slow, dodgy drive home. And then I got stuck in a small drift getting into my parking lot, and my parking spot was kind of full. Fortunately there's communal shovel just inside one of the side entrances to my building.

It's the one time of the year I see the appeal of SUVs. Though I must say: experts on the subject have frequently commented that the extra safety afforded by SUVs is often offset by the sense of invulnerability drivers feel when behind the wheel of those tanks, something I saw no fewer than three times on the drive home: SUVs taking corners like it was a mild summer day nearly plowed into (1) a fence, (2) a pair of people forced by the blocked sidewalks to walk on the side of the road, and (3) ME.

Not amusing.

As much as I would like to coccoon in here today, there are some unavoidable errands to run. So I was just outside digging out my car for the last forty-five minutes ... which means my jeans are in the dryer for the second time in twenty-four hours.

I considered running in to grab my camera to document the digging-out process, but I was too busy considering varieties of suicide that would be warm and dry.

I do need to go out shortly though ... I shall take some pics around town for the smug amusement of all those enjoying above-zero weather and green grass in Ontario.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Awww, you know, when I said I wanted a "Holy Crap" post, I forgot that that holy crap post would involve you having to deal with the mountains of snow. That really sucks man. And of course, it's kind of warm here. And we have no snow. But I bet that makes you feel so much better right??? No? Ok sorry, we're supposed to get snow on Saturday, that should make you feel better. Don't go for the SUV. Take the much better route and get the studded tires. Apparently they help out in a multitude of scenarios that involve snow, icy roads, and bad conditions. Otherwise, I recommend hot chocolate, a warm blanket, a good book, and a window that allows you to see all the crap outside, knowing full well you're inside nice and toasty warm.