Sunday, September 24, 2006

He's baaaaaaaaaaack ...

Aaron Sorkin, that is. The one serious onion in the ointment for my plan not to renew my cable this year was that I would be missing the new Sorkin show, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. But my lovely Kristen has come to the rescue with a DVD recorder on loan from her sister, and in my mailbox this past friday, there it was ... the television experience I've been looking for since Sorkin left The West Wing (or was fired, I've never heard the definitive version of the story) and my formerly favourite show did a nose dive into mediocrity.

Studio 60 is pure Sorkin gold ... fast-paced, smart dialogue, complex characters, and a rhythm to the action, the movement and the script that is symphonic. If I sound like I'm overstating the case here, I am -- the show is still a bit shaky, and needs to sort itself out over this season, but television writing and directing on this level is like oxygen. Sorkin's continued success and popularity gives me hope in a world saturated with the various There-But-For-The-Grace-Of-God phenomenon that is reality TV.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I was a little meh on the whole show. It was good, but I was still wondering about a few things...most of all how Jordan had all the answers. I'm giving it a chance though because Sorkin + Perry + Whitford has to equal greatness. Or I need some Vicodin...

Lesley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.