Thursday, January 24, 2008

News items from the Rock

The Fog Devils are moving to Quebec, so St. John's has lost its hockey team. AGAIN.

A motorist spotted Premier Danny Williams talking on his cell phone while driving, which is illegal in Newfoundland, and reported him to the police. Danny copped to the charge, offering to pay whatever fine is levied. Equal and opposite outcries of "Obey the law, Danny!" and "Stop picking on Danny!" can be heard across the province. I personally want an investigation into why our millionaire premier, who presumably spends a significant amount of time on the phone, has not been introduced to bluetooth technology.

Temperature in St. John's went from -15 on Tuesday to +3 and rainy yesterday with a new dump of snow in between. It was back down to -5 this morning, which meant that my street was effectively a slushy ice rink with an incline.

3 comments:

E. Kill said...

I was a foot or so from making it to the salted sidewalk in front of The Casbah yesterday evening when I hit some ice that cannot be challenged on a hill that steep and fell flat on my ice into the river of freezing slush that was running down the street. I then had to traipse back up the icy hill, change most of my clothing, and then head back down hoping I didn't put on a repeat performance. The lack of any salt on the roads at that point MIGHT have been excusable. No longer. My anger grows by the minute.

nadinebc said...

Ahhhh that is one thing I don't miss about the rock...the icy impossible roads...

Arbër said...

this is slightly strange, but it comes to show how Newfoundland [and even St.John's] is...I saw you last week after having googled a friend's name and after having glanced at your blog.

I almost felt like I knew you...which is the same feeling I get when I Facestalk people...

technology has made me an accidental stalker.